Posted on September 10th, 2014
Nominate an HUC-NATE Extern – Exciting New Opportunities!
It’s that time again! As we approach the start of school and a new year, we hope you will nominate a college student or recent graduate for the 2014-2015 HUC-ARJE Externs Program (formerly known as the Interns Program). This program gives young people who are considering careers in Jewish education a concrete sense of the expanse of the professional field of Jewish education, and exposes them to the exciting possibilities of a career in our profession.
This year, we are thrilled to announce some exciting changes: Our program will broaden its reach and expand beyond the ARJE Conference in Philadelphia to the HUC-JIR campuses in Los Angeles and New York. The up-and-coming educators you nominate can choose between two different opportunities:
- Attend the Philadelphia Conference, February 1-5, 2015. Open to college graduates only! As always, Externs will participate fully in the conference: They will network with members and leaders of NATE, participate in study sessions with scholars and leaders from the field of general and Jewish education, and engage with HUC-JIR professors and alumni.
- Attend a new program on the Los Angeles or New York Campuses, November 16-17, 2014. Open to college undergraduates and graduates. This two-day program will give participants the opportunity to explore exciting models of Jewish education that HUC-JIR alumni and ARJE members are creating “in the field,” as well as a chance to experience the Rhea Hirsch and New York Schools of Education. Participants will attend classes, participate in tefillah, meet students and faculty, and get a real sense of student life on campus.
Whomever you nominate will be able to select the program that they would like to attend in their application. (Current students can select the New York or Los Angeles programs but not this year’s ARJE conference, as it would require they miss a full week of school.). This is a wonderful opportunity for potential Jewish educators to study and learn from and with the best and the brightest teachers and scholars currently working in the field of Jewish education. We need your help to nominate our externs!
We’re looking for:
- College students or recent graduates who grew up in your congregation, who are now away at college
- Local college students or recent graduates who teach in your congregation or who are otherwise involved in your community
- Young people you’ve met while serving as faculty at camp – either staff or past campers
- People who have shown a passion and commitment to Jewish life
- People who have shown an interest in a career in Jewish education
- Students who have demonstrated leadership potential
Please note that preference will be given to recent graduates and college seniors and juniors.
How the process works:
In order to nominate an extern, you must complete the online form by September 5, 2014 – https://natenet.wufoo.com/forms/hucnate-externs-program-nomination-201415/ – for each person you wish to nominate. Please be specific and thorough. In the past few years, we have only been able to accept one-third of all nominees to the program, so your reference is critical!
After receiving your nomination(s), we will e-mail the nominee with an invitation to apply. If/when they submit an application, a member of the ARJE Externs committee will conduct a short phone interview. When all applicants have been interviewed, the committee will select the externs.
As always, HUC-JIR and ARJE will pay for airfare (up to $400), hotel, ground transportation between the airport and hotel, and meals for externs while they are at the conference or HUC-JIR campus.
We need your help to make this program a success, and thank you in advance for your commitment to recruiting the best and the brightest to our profession!
Questions? Feel free to contact one or both of the HUC-ARJE Externs Program co-chairs:
Jessica Ingram (MARE, 2010) at 202.487.3585 or email@example.com
Lauren Luskey, RJE (MAJE, 2010) at 901.937.2776 or firstname.lastname@example.org