Posted on May 12th, 2014
#ShehecheyanuMoment: NATE’s First Virtual Plenum
The ARJE virtual plenum, held online on May 10th was the place to be!
The ARJE Leadership continuously strives to bring more members into the work of our organization. Amongst many efforts in place to achieve this goal, the board determined that it would be worthwhile to hold NATE’s annual plenary meeting virtually, as opposed to just for those in attendance at the annual professional development gathering.
The goals of our plenary meetings are:
- Business: accomplish the prescribed and desired business of the organization. The ARJE Constitution requires that members vote on: amendments to the constitution, membership changes, and dues changes. The Executive Committee determines what additional business items to include on the agenda.
- Participation: increase participation of the general membership beyond those already in leadership positions in order for them to know more about what is happening with the organization and feel more connected.
- Building connections to NATE: provide opportunities to socialize, honor peers, and build relationships between members and the organization.
We try to balance and meet each of these goals in all of our plenary meetings, whether in person or virtual.
The recent plenary agenda included:
- D’var Torah presented by ARJE president, Debbie Niederman, RJE
- Review and celebration of the Kallah on Israel education that took place in March in Chicago, IL
- A very thorough and informative report from Bob Koppel, Executive Director, Reform Pension Board
- Update on the ARJE Salary Survey with details about next steps in processing and sharing the data
- Report from our Operations teams
- An exercise led by the Supporting the Needs of ARJE Members Task Force
Detailed minutes from the plenum will be available to all our membership very soon.
As has become our custom, we give out gifts and prizes to those in attendance at our meetings. The winners of this year’s prizes are:
- Abra Lee, Temple Emanu-El, Westfield, NJ – a set of iCenter Content cards
- Lisa Friedman, Temple Beth El, Hillsborough, NJ – 50% discount on conference registration for Philadelphia, February 2015
- Beth Young, Temple Judea, Coral Gables, FL – 50% discount on conference registration for Philadelphia, February 2015
As promised, all those who completed the salary survey were entered into a drawing for an iPad mini. The winner of that drawing is: Rabbi Becky Hoffman, Temple Kol Tikvah, Woodland Hills, CA.
Our next plenum will be held both virtually and in-person during the ARJE Annual Gathering in Philadelphia, February 1-5, 2014. We look forward to seeing you there!
Thank you to everyone who joined in our virtual plenary meetings. If you have questions about the meeting, please do not hesitate to be in touch with me at email@example.com